We are now a few weeks into the Islington Giving Crisis Appeal, raising funds for emergency food, fuel and basic essentials to support vulnerable local residents through this winter. Thanks to the generosity of our community and our trusted relationships with our partners working in the borough, including Help on Your Doorstep and Age UK Islington, we have already been able to provide emergency funding to 65 local people, and the grants will be reaching another 40 individuals in the coming weeks.
This has enabled residents like 89-year-old Amelia to pay her next energy bill. Amelia lives alone and needs support with her day-to-day activities. After using her savings to support her sons during the pandemic, she was struggling to get on top of piling energy bills on her small pension. These funds have helped to relieve some of the daily anxiety and worry she is experiencing.
The response we have received already from local people has been incredible. But this is just the start.
Spiralling costs are pushing more and more people and families in our community into devastating poverty and uncertainty. In Islington there are now more than 11,500 families living in fuel poverty, with prices continuing to rise. Food bank referrals in the borough have increased 46% compared to last year.
We urgently need your help to support more people and families through this crisis.
100% of your donation will go to local residents who need your support.
Advice & Support:
- Our local partners including Help on Your Doorstep are running a cost of living drop in to share what support is available to residents.
- Worrying about money? Three steps to find options and places to get help (via Islington Council)
- [Blog] Islington advice services dedicated to support residents in the midst of the cost of living crisis (via Cripplegate Foundation)
- Islington’s specialist energy team SHINE
- London-wide debt advice: Debt Free London (Tel: 0800 808 5700)
- Citizens Advice Islington
- Islington Law Centre
- Islington’s The Winter Wellness Project